26 August 2012

TC of KG - Chapter Ten

"Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win"

6:30 AM, Bed

To believe or not to believe- that is the question.

I haven't slept a wink since yesterday. What the hell is wrong with me? The one thing Khushi Kumari Gupta never failed to do was to get a good night's sleep. But in the last few days I've been more inclined to think...about certain things ... .than give my body the nocturnal rest.

The thing is when something is bothering me I think about it to death, burry it, un-burry it, think about it some more and stop only when the mere thought of it repulses me. This plan is usually full proof.

Except where Arnav Singh Raizada is concerned.

The more I think about him, the more confused I get and the more confused I get, the more I think about him and then I get confused some more. It's Catch-22.

But the peculiar thing about this never ending cycle is that I don't exactly mind the confusion. In fact a quite uncanny sense of excitement fills me. It's become a game- an exciting, nail biting game- to figure out Arnav Singh Raizada. Although the rules of our little battle royal are unclear, I seem to look forward to the next round.

I guess it's partially because he challenges me. We constantly want to out-do one another. At least that's how it is for me. I am not entirely sure if he even considers me his equal combatant.
Yes he said he's interested in me.

But how?

It can mean an array of things. I am interested in you because you're a far cry compared to the nut-crackers I hang out with. I am interested in you because I really pity your photography skills. I am interested in you because you actually have a back bone.

Sigh.

There I go again thinking about him. I can swear to god I filled up the pages of this book with the same zeal before I met him. But on reflection and looking back at my last ten entries all I can find sprawled on every page is 'Arnav Singh Raizada'.

This is unhealthy, bordering on obsession actually, for sure.

Do I like him?

Sure.

But how?

As an off-hand information- I got this cryptic text at 12'O Clock in the night.

I'll pick you up at seven.

Think. Confuse one's self. Repeat.

7:10 AM, Arnav's car.

"You're awfully quiet this morning."

I was startled out of my Let's-Figure-Arnav-Out trance by his mildly curious voice.

"Oh, umm ...  I didn't know you cared." It was an open gauntlet and I looked sharply at him gauging his response. 

His eyes didn't even flicker; they were firmly fixed on the road. Poor boy doesn't even know what's going to hit him.

I think I finally came up with a plan. A good one.

Now to put the plan into action.

"Hey, when are you playing next?"

He was puzzled at my out-of-the-blue question.

"Tomorrow. Why?"

"So that I can come and watch you, silly." I gave him my best flirtatious smile.

"And why do you want to watch me?" He asked his voice laced with disbelief.

At that exact same instant I plugged in my (out-dated)mp3 player to his stereo system and fidgeted with the controls.

"What the hell are you doing? And don't think you can avoid the question." 

Oh Arnav you are making this too easy.

"I haven't avoided any question. Now tell me which one of these knobs controls the volume?" I said my pleasant smile still in place as I let his anger brew. Go on Arnav, I dare you to lose control. And he didn't disappoint. His hand shout out grabbing mine, pulling it away from the gadget.

I gave him a perfectly aimed mildly surprised look, which riled him up further. His eyes darkened and his other hand on the steering wheel clenched.

I lifted out entwined hands a little and brought it up to my eye level.

"You have really long fingers Arnav." I stressed on the 'long' and rolled out the 'R' in his name. If he was drinking something I am pretty sure he would be coughing and choking it out by now.

"What?" He asked again, his fingers loosened a bit and I quickly took my hand away. I don't think he even knew what he was asking any more.

I cleared my throat a bit to indicate his hand which was still suspended in mid air. His eyes quickly snapped back to the road and he snatched his hands away.

And that wasn't even the main course. Poor baby.

I let the silence prolong for some more time just watching blurry the scenery outside. After all it was only a matter of time before his frustration got the better of him.

"You haven't answered the question." He bit out, refusing to look at me.

I reached out the third knob on the right, figuring that was the volume one. I am pretty sure I saw fumes come out of his ears. But before he could pounce on me I said,

"It because I am interested in you."

Then I turned up the volume to 100% and let my favourite rock band take over the car. Suffice to say he couldn't get a word out.

All fair in love, war and whatever effed up game we're playing.

8:45 AM, Creative Writing.

I guess my plan wasn't as successful as I thought it was. I mean he didn't even try to do anything during tutoring. He spent the entire time just ...  well tutoring me. Alright I guess I am thankful I finally know the difference between a manual focus and a dog but still ... .Nothing? 

Not that it bothers me that he didn't do anything, quite the opposite in fact. I am relieved. That's right I am totally cool with it. Beyond cool. I am a -100*C.

9:45 AM, Political Science.

So what if she was standing too close to him? So what if he had his arms draped around her listening to what she had to say, smiling? He can do whatever the hell he wants.

Humph.

12:30, Lunch

"Hey Priya." I greeted as we took our spot outside on the grass. She in turn gave me a pointed look.

"What?" I asked as she rolled her eyes.

"Aren't you going to fill me in on your romantic escapades with the mighty ASR?"

Trust Priya to put it the bluntest way possible.

"On second thoughts if it's 'R' rated I'd rather not hear about." She was now smiling at me. Then I guess I must blushed because she then said,

"Oh my, that bad? What did you guys do? Kiss? Or wait ... . have sex in the tennis courts?"

"Priya." I scream-whispered. "People can hear you."

"Honey people already think much worse."

Now it was my turn to look at her pointedly.

"Oh please that little stunt in the tennis courts everyone heard about it ... .He just claimed you ... .."

And cue blush-till-I-faint.

"Not really ... " I muttered under my breath.

Her teasing smile dropped and she wrapped a comforting arm around my shoulders.

"Hey ... Khushi ...  It's okay...It'll blow over in a few days ...  Au contraire to popular belief this college does not revolve around Arnav ... ..very much to his dismay I am sure" She said; instantly lightening up the mood.

I gave a reassuring smile telling her all's well.

"So go on drama queen fill me in ... " She continued while messing up my hair before moving away.

"Hey ... " But my response was cut short when I was pushed from behind. The sudden jerk caused Priya to rise in alarm and then me as well.

We were surrounded, as in under attack by the multitude of flashy colours in front of us. I put my hands in front of my face and dramatically said,

"Oh Priya save me my eyes can't take it anymore ... "

Encircling us was Her Bitchiness Lavanya and The Trusted Minions. But surprisingly enough she didn't even send me an evil glare. Instead she sent me a lazy smile almost as if mocking.

"So Priya how are you?" She asked completely ignoring me. "Haven't heard from you in awhile."

"Hey La, yeah I am fine. But what's with the sabotage?" Priya asked indicating the human circle around us.

"Oh these girls? I don't know half of them, they just follow me around." She laughed freely.

"Why exactly are you talking to us?" Go Priya! She cut short her laughter.

"Can't a girl talk to her best friend's sister?" She still put on an unreadable expression. Then she gave a nonchalant shrug and continued,

"Aanch mentioned something about a mid-sem project work that needed head starting?" Yep that's right I am just an invisible wall here. "Call me today and I'll give you pointers."

After my prolonged silence and an agape expression from Priya, she gave us a slight smile and walked off.

But then turned back at the last second as if remembering something.

"Oh Chamkilie, ASR won't be available tomorrow for your tutoring, he has a match."

Oh-kaay???

"Don't ask me, I have no idea what just happened." Priya said as I looked at her.

Who on earth is this Lavanya? I really can't deal with more complicated people. One is more than enough. 

1:10 PM, History

He thinks he won this round. Let him live in that delusion because I will win the war. Jerk. After our rather strange run in with Lavanya, Priya and I walked our separate ways.

I was randomly pondering about the topic for my story when a hand roughly grabbed me, pulled me into a class room and pushed me against the locked door. I was sure I was going to be raped so I prepared to scream but a husky 'shhh' stopped me. My heat started pounding against my rib-cage and my knees nearly gave out as my down cast eyes met melting chocolaty ones. 

"Tut Tut Khushi ... . if you scream people will assume we are doing things we ought not to be doing ... " His voice was barely above a whisper and his lips were dangerously close to mine.

"Wha ... What ... "

"Shhh ... " He said again placing his finger on my lips. My eyes widened and blood rushed to my cheeks. Then a devilish smirk lined his face.

"Do you really think you own me little girl?" His fingers were slighting brushing my lower lips as if urging me to release it from caged teeth. I released my lips but my lips remained parted under his finger.

"You know I could do anything to you right now and you would not object ... "

I was willing my brain to jumpstart but it was impossible under his steady gaze and grazing fingers.

"No I won't ... " I finally said in a raspy voice.

"Oh really? Is that a challenge?"

"Say if I were to kiss you right now what will you do?" His lips were so close that if he had spoken more they would have surly brushed against mine.

Then he moved sideways so that his mouth was in level with my ears. I was sure I was going to faint.

"Did you know that when you blush it goes beyond your cheeks and all the way to your neck?"

What the hell was he trying to prove? I was suddenly clammy and stuffed so I squirmed under his hold.

"You want me to let go?"

I guess I must have made a noise of protest as he removed his hold and moved away, his hands tugging at his hair. I slumped against the door and breathed deeply. He smiled smugly at my reaction.

I racked my brain urging it to give some sort of a response. But all I could think about was the man in front of me.

Then I turned back unlocked the door and bolted from the spot.

I needed to think but that was impossible with him standing close to me, plus I had class.
I have no idea what he was trying to do.Is he interested in me? Or is it just the challenge? This thing is spiralling way out of control. I need to place boundaries. What have I gotten myself into? It's like he's put a spell on me. He had no problem talking and flirting with Lavanya this morning. Is this how he treats all girls? And I still don't know what this issue with Shyam is. Is he leading me on? Do I want to be led on? Is he even attracted to me or does he simply do it to rile me up? I don't even know if he has a girlfriend for God's sake. He could be a lying, cheating, serial killer for all I know. So the guy tutors me... but so what? 

So many questions and no answers what-so-ever. Eff my life



No comments:

Post a Comment