26 August 2012

TC of KG - Chapter Eleven

"There's nothing like eavesdropping to show you that the world outside your head is different from the world inside your head."

6:00 AM, Terrace.

My Bua-ji always says that if you need a new perspective on things then physically change your perspective. Go some place bizarre and think again. My Bua-ji is also crazy as a bat. So I don't know how much of what she said is legitimate.

Anywho.

She's the reason I am up here on the terrace sitting precariously on the parapet wall driving my brain insane. I swear, if my brain had a mouth, it'd cry out in pure agony. The point is, I've been over thinking and as a result I have finally reached a point of concurrence.

Who is the reason for my current dilemma?

Who's the reason I can't sleep at night?

Who the reason I have people gossiping behind my back?

Who's the reason I am not failing photography?

Who cryptically stated that he's 'interested' in me?

The answer to all of the above questions is ... Arnav Singh Raizada. But the problem with Mr Raizada is that he has a huge problem with sharing information. The jerk thinks that by making me flustered he can get away. Unfortunately for him, what he doesn't know is that I am totally onto his little plan.

He can run but he can't hide.

As the saying goes- 'Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." If he's not going to tell me then I am going to find out one way or another.

Suck on that, Laad Governor.

8:30 AM, Bus

"Well look who decided to join us today... What no romantic ride with Arnav today?" Thanks Priya and while you're at it why don't you pour some sand on the wound as well.

"Shut up..." I whined giving her a grumpy look.

"Alright alright... What's got your knickers in a twist?...On second thoughts please don't answer that..." She was having way too much fun at my expense so I gave her a dirty look.

She raised her arms in defeat.

"Sorry ...  tell me what's with you and Arnav?"

"What 'what's with me and Arnav'?"

"Khushi  ... " She said exasperatedly.

"I honestly don't know ... " Then I continued, sporting a sharp smirk. "But I am going to find out."

"Khushi, what's swimming in that head of your?" Her smile turned a little apprehensive.  

"I'll make you a deal..."  I said, a half baked plan forming inside my head.

Her eyes first showed puzzlement then resignation then an understanding and finally outrage.

"No way ...  now way in hell am I helping you ... .."

"But you don't even know what I want..."

"Khushi from what I do know I am pretty sure what you have in mind is both illegal and probably'll make us a laughing stalk."

My moth flew open at her rather apt description of what I had in mind.

9:30 AM, some corridor.

"We're going to get into so much trouble for this ...  My mom is going to kill me when she finds out I've missed class ... .." Priya whispered.

"Oh shush ...  Live a little ... ."

"Easy for you to say you have the first class free ... " She glared at me.

I pretended not to notice as we were precariously perched   behind an alcove in front of the locker rooms waiting for the tennis players to come back from practice.

"Pray tell what exactly are we doing here?" Priya asked for the umpteenth time.

I sighed and sat down, sliding down the wall and bringing my knees together. I motioned for Priya to do the same.

She gave me a You're-effing-Crazy look but sat down all the same.

"I just ...  want to know who he is ... ." I admitted.

"What's to know ...  I'll tell you who he is ...  He's a playboy and a jerk..."

I stared at her for moment and said slowly,

"I don't believe that..." I really didn't, sure he was slightly bi-polar but he didn't give out any bad-guy vibes. And here's a fact my instincts are never wrong. Ever.

Priya groaned loudly and I shushed her as I heard footsteps approaching. To be specific three pairs of footsteps.

What the eff is that bitch doing, coming towards the BOYS locker room?  

Priya and I couched lower pressing ourselves against the wall and straining to hear what they were saying.

"ASR, you haven't told me anything about Anjalie in a while, how's she doing?" Came Lavanya's voice laced with concern.

"Is she going back to college now?" Another voice, Anil's.

"What's there to say? She's doing alright ... " Came Arnav's clipped voice.

"Don't be like that.. we haven't seen her in ages... tell us ... "

"She recovering... slowly ... "

"And college?"

"Whenever the hell she's ready..."

The pace of one of the footsteps increased, which I am guessing was Arnav's. Then the footsteps stopped.

"Chill bro, we're just concerned.. you know she's like my sister too ... ."

"Exactly Arnav we care about her too ...  "

"I know guys.. it's just..."

"Difficult.. we know that...at the very least I am glad you haven't killed Shyam yet ... ."

"Yeah I'd be pretty pissed if you offed the guy without inviting me ... "

A pair of chuckles followed by hi-fives.

"Both of you stop it, it's not funny ...  And Anil, for God's sake, don't urge the guy on ... "

"La ...  ouch.. let go of my ears.....You vile woman.."

"Don't worry too much La ...  Whatever I do it's going to be calculative.. I know better than to be hasty ... "

"There's a reason why he's fawned over by every single teacher- it's cause he too smart for his own damn good.."

"I wish you'd tell us something Arnav ... "

"It's my battle La.."

"And how does this battle strategy of yours include Khushi ... "

Priya and I turned to look at each other in shock as we strained to hear the rest of the conversation as it faded out, they were too far.

"What the hell was that ... ." I exclaimed.

Priya had a peculiar expression on her face.

"Priya, what is it.. what do you know?"

"I just know that Anjalie, Arnav's sister, used to go out with Shyam ... . Their break up was really mysterious.. no one really knows what happened, expect that no one's seen Anjalie since then ..."

"How am I involved?"

Her only response was a concerned shrug.

11:30 AM, Creative Writing.

I have some mysterious past liked with his.

I am his step sister in some mysterious way ...  ew gross Bau-ji 's only ever loved Amma.

I am mysteriously part of his previous birth and now he's reincarnated to take his revenge on me.

Arnav and Shyam are mysteriously crushing over one another and they want my help.

Anjalie is actually my long lost childhood friend who I pushed off the swing once and then mysteriously bolted from the spot before I was caught.

So much for Creative Writing. Sheesh.

12:30 PM, Lunch
I was still contemplating the Arnav-Shyam-Anjalie equation when Priya approached me.

"So what next Sherlock?" Priya asked grinning.

"A genius takes time my dear Watson." We giggled like a pair of loons.

"Should I get you a cloak and a monocular? You know to be more authentic and all ... .."

Then I crouched under the table suddenly as I saw Arnav entering the cafeteria. I held my breath uttering 'Hai Devi Maiya'

"Khushi are actually hiding under the table to avoid him?" Priya asked her voice filled with disbelief.

"Anyway's  you better become invisible 'cause he's coming this way.."

I heard footsteps approach and then  Arnav's unmistakeable voice.

"What is she doing down there?"

Before Priya could answer I suddenly stood up pushing down the water bottle perched on the table and hitting myself on the table. Ouch.

"The hell Khushi?" He moved closer reaching for my head, but I, with my ninja like reflexes, moved away before he touched me.

"I am fine ...  spiffing ...  never been better ... fit as a fiddle ... "

He just stared at me like I was barking mad.

"i.. have.. to ..go.. now ...  very important thing that I have to attend now ...  bye ... "

Then I bolted from the spot leaving poor Priya to do the explaining. Hey what are friends for if not to cover up for your abrupt departures from stalkers' vicinity?

5:00 PM, Home

I think I gobbled up pretty much everything in the kitchen since I didn't have any lunch due to the Arnav fiasco.  Amma just told that we're going to go broke if I continue to eat like that. I just told her that it'd be child abuse if she didn't feed me. Sheesh.

Argh stupid phone I really need to change my ring tone. Wait a minute ...  it's can't be ...  him? Now ?

6:00 pm, bed

"you didn't come to see me." This guy has some serious issues.

"excuse me?"

"My match you didn't come to see ... "

Then it clicked. Arnav's tennis match. I had totally forgotten about it.

"yeah I was busy ... "

"Busy avoiding me?" How the hell is one person supposed to answer that?

"Avoid you? Why would I avoid you?"

Then I heard a slight muffle at the other end?

"Are you laughing at me?" I demanded.

"Khushi that little stunt of yours during lunch, worst ever."

I huffed loudly letting him know that I wasn't happy with his comment.

"is that some sort of normal behaviour around you ...  all the craziness I mean ... "

" are you done complimenting me now? Seriously if you want to get me to like you, you're doing a piss poor job"

"Then how do I get you to like me?"

Then I unceremoniously dropped my phone down in utter shock ... .. Did he just? I mean did he really? It can't be...

When I picked my phone again he was out right laughing at me.

"You're absolutely a single piece Khushi Kumari Gupta ...  and I would like to be your friend, is what I meant.."

"Arnav Singh Raizada wants to be my friend?"

"Why do you say it like that?"

Then we just talked. For an entire hour. I told him that he was bi-polar and he told me I whine too much. I found out that he was a little bit of a recluse and that he was diabetic. He asked me if I was always loud. I told him to shove it and that yes I was slightly on the crazy side. I discovered that he played tennis since he was five and he was a kind of a know-it-all. He was majoring in Business Studies and wanted to be a millionaire by the time he turned twenty seven.  In turn I told him I wanted to become a journalist and that who knows one day I might interview the millionaire Arnav Singh Raizada.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow, as usual."

With that he cut the call without waiting for my response. I have no idea what just happened except that liked I talking to Arnav Singh Raizada, perhaps far more than I should.  Maybe if I do become his friend I can find out more about why he's stalking me. But is that a social norm? Can one befriend one's stalker?

Only time will tell.



No comments:

Post a Comment