21 August 2012

TC of KG - Chapter Seven


"An apology is a good way to have the last word."


8:00 AM, Bed


Hangovers are the worst things in the entire world. Why would anyone even bother drinking if this is the aftermath?



Oh God. I just want to stay in bed, preferably all day. Thank God it's a Sunday, otherwise I would have died. Actually I am pretty sure I am dying.



Okay fine. Ahhh... It takes effort to be dramatic all the time.



Sigh.



I guess that it's getting better. Things certainly seem less hazy now, after the buckets and buckets of water Payal made me drink. She also stuffed me with chips, fries, jelabies and every other fatty food her could get her hands on. I already feel my dress getting tighter. Sheesh.



But I guess my sister is the best in the entire world. Who else would do so much for me? I want to be exactly like my sister. She knows everything about everything, even alcohol ... wait a minute ... no one my family ever drinks ... .how did she know hangover cures? Something's fishy.



Why don't I just ask her?



8:30 AM, where-else-but-in-bed



"Oh, Arnav told me."



Just like that. Arnav told her. I mean am I the only one seeing how bizarre that statement is? I think it's about time I sit down and figure out what happened yesterday. I mean I wasn't that drunk; it only affected me as much as it did because I've never been drunk before. At the most I was slightly tipsy, right?



11:30 AM, Bed-for-god's-sake.



I ... I ... .I am an idiot. Oh God why, why did I have to do those things? Devi Maiyya don't you like me anymore? Do you want me to do more poojas?



I don't think I'll ever be able to look at him in the eye ever again. Give me a minute while I wallow in self pity and drown in my sorrows.



Sigh.



I guess I should start at the beginning.



Priya and I went to the party together in her car. I wore the only dress I had- A brown Grecian Dress with Rhinestone and lace. It was not exactly classy but I liked it the second I saw it. It was simple and modest enough for me. I guess I should have gone for something a little more posh, because everyone at the party wore exquisite dresses. I saw a multitude of colours, sparkles, lace, leather, satin and the like.



Oh well.



"You'll be fine Khushi; I mean it's the first party for all of us isn't it?" Priya said just before we entered the party.



I gave her a tentative smile. There was pleasant music playing in the back ground and everyone was mingling about, making friends. I spotted Reema, we walked over to her and a bunch of other people.



"Hey there Khushi. Wow, your dress looks great."



"Does it? Thanks a bunch. Yours too. Oh, this is Priya by the way."



"Hey Priya looking good as well"



Some more pleasantries were exchanged and I found myself relaxing. We laughed, talked and ranted about school, teachers and even the latest gossip.



"Did you hear 'that' person from 'that' class got suspended on the first day?" Audible gasps went about. (She of course mentioned names but I honestly didn't bother with them.)



"No way!" "You're kidding right?" "I think I know the guy."



It went far more smoothly than I imagined. I should have immediately guessed that things would go wrong. After another round of laughter and some awkward group dancing, Priya and I left to get some drinks. We then noticed some figures hurdled behind the punch table. Priya rolled her eyes.



"Anil, Aakash I know you guys are there. Come out."



And what do know, it was them. They stood up sporting similar guilty expressions. Anil was holding a punch glass in his hand. He tentatively handed it to me.



"How many of you are there?" Priya asked with a narrowed gaze, as I gulped the punch in one go. Their eyes snapped to mine and widened.



"Twenty." Aakash answered finally.



"What do you guys plan on doing?"



At that exact same moment all the lights in the auditorium went out. Here's a little fact, I hate the dark. I hate it more than anything else. An instant fear went through me. I knew I had to get out of there. But my mind was slightly muddled and I found it difficult to balance myself on my high heels. I heard screaming but nothing was registering. I saw light some way off which, I guess, was an exit. I could hear Priya call out to me but I determinedly walked towards the light.



I pushed the doors open and the cool night air hit me on the face. I remember feeling slightly better, but my thoughts were still topsy-turvy. I slipped and fell onto the grass and I closed my eyes due to the impact. When I opened them I saw curious brown, familiar eyes peering down at me. His eyebrows were scrunched up in confusion.



"Arnaaav.." Hiccup. "What are you do ... doing here?" I then started to giggle. He looked at me like I had gone mad that further made me giggle like there was no tomorrow. Apparently all and any neurological activity had ceased.



"Khushi are you drunk?" He asked, his voice filled with surprise.



I just continued to laugh like a mad man who was on a sugar rush. He on the other hand continued to sport the bewildered look. I stopped only when my ribs started to ache and oxygen became a dire need. Then I lifted both my hands up.



"Help me up."



He gave an exasperated sigh and helped me up. I wobbled a little but he firmly grabbed my hand and led me towards the metal benches that lined the pavement. He made me sit down and then crouched down in front of me so that our eyes were in level.



Then I lost all control over my mouth, it's like it had mind of its own. I mean I have no idea what prompted me say the next few words. I clearly don't remember thinking it. Or maybe I did and my brain just fully embraced the phrase 'honesty is the best policy'.



"You have reaallyyy pretteeyyy eyes."



A slow smirk lined his face. (Stupid pounce was enjoying it.)



"Oh really?"



"Uh-huh. It not completely brown. It's got gray and even hazel. It's like chocolate." Then I smiled like Santa Clause.



Somebody please kill me. Now.



But wait it gets worse that was just the beginning.



"Is that so? Didn't know you noticed me that much Khushi." His amusement was clearly visible now.



"How could I not when you stalk me?"



His eyes widened at that statement, he got up and sat next to me on the bench. I turned to look at him but he was looking the other way.



"You do, don't you?"



He turned to look at me with a nonchalant expression.



"Khushi alcohol has made you delirious."



I, for some odd reason, found the word delirious rather funny. By funny I mean I lost it. Are you seeing a trend here?



"De ... " Laughter "Liii" More laughter "Riiiooouuss". Laughter



I guess my insanity was spreading to him because a slow lazy smile, not smirk, lined his face as well.



"You're mad you know that?"



"I've been called worse, but that's okay- I am who I am."



I guess I am one of those drunks who turn philosophical/loose mouthed after alcohol.



His eyebrows rose, questioningly.



"Loud, obnoxious, irritating, candy-floss, silly, childish, overbearing, suffocating... " I would have continued the word vomit, if he had not put his finger over my lips, silencing me.



"Shhh ... "



He was looking into my eyes as if searching for something. Naturally I did the only thing I could possibly do at that point. I bit him. Yep that's me, finesse personified. Not.



He yelped in pain.



"You just bit me." He said in an outraged voice. Then his smirk was back in place as he wiped his fingers on my expensive cost-my-sister-a-fortune dress.



I huffed in outrage.



"You ... you ... "



"I am waiting ... " He said, his voice filled with sarcasm.



He thought he was so funny.



"Apologise." I demanded.



"Arnav Singh Raizada never apologises to anyone." The response was instantaneous.



I didn't know why but my muddled brain couldn't comprehend what he was saying because any normal person should have given him a glare and walked off. But oh no, not me.



"But then how will I forgive you if you don't apologise?"



It was a simple enough sentiment, one I followed but had no intention of telling anyone. But do things ever go as I plan them?



He suddenly took on a serious demeanour. He looked at me with a fierce gaze.



"That simple, I apologise, you forgive?"



"Well of course. You're very silly. Why would I want to carry the grudge wherever I go? Much easier to forgive." See what I mean by a philosophical drunk and by that I mean crazy person of course.



"What if something's can't be forgiven?"



I stared at him while my jumbled thoughts made my head swim so I once again let my mouth blabber.



"Anything can be forgiven if the apology is true and comes from the heart, unless ..."



"Unless ... " He repeated. He was taking me way too seriously.



"Unless the person who has to forgive you is yourself. Then things become complicated."



Then I guess I became bored with the topic. My attention span is minute even on normal days, so it was not entirely surprising to see that I was distracted. I abruptly stood up.


"I want to go home."



He seemed startled at my sudden outburst.



"What?"



"Home."



Then I started chanting.



"Home. Home. Home."



"Khushi ... Khushi ... Just shut up."



"Home. Home. Home."



He got up swiftly and covered my mouth with his hands. My sounds were muffled.



"Don't even think about biting me again."



I gave him a grumpy but resigned look.



"I'll get you home if you shut up."



I must have nodded because he let go and took out his phone.



"Can you tell me where you live?" He said while still looking at his phone.



"In this world. In this universe. Speaking of universe can you believe how insignificant we really are? I mean how big it is and how small we are ..."



He was completely ignoring me and muttered a faint 'figured' under his breath. He seemed to have found the number he was looking for.



"Hey Priya it's Arnav."



"It's immaterial how I got your number."



"Yes Khushi is with me."



"Can you stop with the interrogation? She's fine."



"No I didn't kill her."



"Can you tell me where she lives?"



"What do you mean you don't know?"



"For God's sake Priya, can you just message me Khushi's house number?"



"Yeah she wants' to go home. Yep she's drunk."



"Bye."



I guess I must have been shivering due to the night air because he took one look at me and the next second a warm jacked enveloped me. It smelled like cinnamon, pepper and some expensive cologne. It was intoxicating. I remember hugging it closer to myself, cocooning myself in it. My jackets were never this comfortable.



"Hey, is this Khushi's house?"



"No no calm down, she's alright."



"I am Arnav, no I am not some rapist."



"If you tell me where you live, I'll drop her."



"No it's really no problem."



"Okay fine. Please just calm down. We are on the college grounds. Near the pavements."



"Yes okay."



He then turned to look at me. I gave him a chin up look. He came closer and stood in front of me. I looked right at him. He seemed hesitant as if contemplating something. Then his hands reached up and pushed away the locks of hair which were falling over my eyes. His hands lingered for a second longer then he pulled away and turned the other way. My cheeks burned where he touched me or perhaps that was just the alcohol. We stood in silence for some more time.



Things after that point became a little hazy. I guess I fainted but I don't remember falling down. I think I was carried. I remember being in a warm embrace. I think I clung onto the warmth because I remember Payal prying me away from it. I also vaguely recalled Payal's concerned voice. She must have brought me home and changed my clothes.



I wonder if anyone else got drunk last night. Actually I wonder what happened at the party since I was missing for most of it.



Time to call up Priya.



1:00 PM, Bed-Bed-Bed



After a quick shower to get rid of all the slime and some breakfast I plopped onto bed with my phone and called Priya up.



"Hey there Priya."



"Finally Khushi, why the hell did you run off last night?"



"I was drunk!"



"Yeah I know, Arnav told me."



"Did he now? Oh Priya you are not going to believe what all I did yesterday. I completely made a fool of myself in front of him. Surprisingly enough he was accommodative. He helped and all that. I thought he would make fun of me but instead he put up with all my crap. Quite nice of him actually. Priya? Priya are you listening to me?"



I stopped my rambling as I felt silence at the other end.



"You wanted to kill him yesterday and now this" She finally said.



I was confused.



"What's that supposed to mean?"



"Khushi it's just that ... Arnav and relationships ... He's not exactly known for ..." She said in a rushed voice.



"Yeah?"



"Forget it. Just be careful okay?"



"What are you trying to say Priya? I am confused."



"Nothing. Look I have to go now okay? We'll talk in college."



And the line went dead.



How cryptic.



Sheesh.



I think I'll just sleep the rest of the day off.



Nothing better to do after all.



Or I'll sit and go through that camera manual.



Sleep or Camera?



Good night ... umm day?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment