20 August 2012

TC of KG - Chapter One

"If life is the best teacher then don't be surprised if you have to pay school fees sometimes."

7:00 AM, Breakfast

Oh no...
Oh no..noo.nooo
Hai Devi maiya!
I can't...
Save me'..

7:30 AM, Still Breakfast


First day of college today. Okay.


Things to do

1. Must not hyperventilate
2. Must act cool.
3. Must not stutter.
4. Must not faint.
5. Must breathe
6. Must not die.
Okay Khushi Kumari Gupta , it's the time of your life. You are going to rock it. Everyone is going to love you. You will make friends. It's going to be a cake walk.


Note to self- Consider therapy. It's not healthy referring to ones' self in third person.


8:10 AM, College bus



So far so good. No one seems to be glaring at me. Which in my case is as good as it gets. In fact a sweet girl even spoke to me.



"Hello." She said uncertainly. She wore a pair of jeans and nice blue kurta.



"hi" I replied and tried to contain my bursts of insanity within me. But there was no need for that as an awkward pause settled around us.



"My name is Khushi and I am a fresher." I said with a nervous giggle.



"Me too. My name is Priya."



And that was the end of that. Honestly, things could have gone much worse. Bad things usually happen around me. In fact I am pretty sure I am the most unlucky person in the world.


For example just yesterday I had gone out to buy some vegetables for Amma. A fairly harmless task right? Wrong. I bought the vegetables and was innocently skipping home then...


BANG

CRASH
THUD

I was pushed down and vegetables were scattered haphazardly around me. To top in off the person who knocked me off seemed to think it was somehow my fault. I mean the nerve of him.


"What the...Can't you see where you're going little girl." He said, even though he didn't look much older than me.


"Well Uncle-ji , if you removed your Godzilla like glasses perhaps you will be able to see where you're going." I retorted.


"Hey little girl you'll shut up if you know what's right for you." He threatened.


"God! Are you really threatening me? How dare you...you...Laad Governor. "


I know not the snarkiest of the replies but it served the purpose. His nose flared in anger.


"What did you just call me?" He said while coming towards me. I was ready to smack him right in the face but the lucky sod escaped. Someone called out to him at the same instant, ASR or something. He glared at me (at least I think he did, I couldn't be sure because of his gigantic glasses. Humph I bet he has ugly eyes.) and sauntered off.


Anyhow, the point of the story being- Wherever Khushi Kumari Gupta goes, drama follows.


Shit, the bus just stopped.



Oh god Oh god oh god



Must not hyperventilate Must not hyperventilate Must not hyperventilate.



Cool as a cucumber Khushi. Cool as a cucumber.


9:30 AM, First Class, World History


Okay, I got through the first hour without any serious(visible) damage.


Mission: Cool as a cucumber- Success (for now.)


I should at least pretend to pay attention being my first class and all that.



Hmmm...something about introductions. Who cares?



Wait what?



Shit that means I have to stand up and talk. Oh god that's a disaster in the making.



Shit shit shit.



It's my turn.


10:30, Second class, Political Science.


Things went perfect, even if I do say so myself. Well as perfect as things went around me at least.


"You in red." The professor (A boring old man, much like the subject he thought, Mr.Sen) said.

I audibly gulped.

"I am Khushi Gupta. It's my ambition to become a journalist." I said my voice clear and my stance confident.


Okay that's not the complete truth. I may or may not have stuttered a little and paused here and there but still it was a success because, well, no one was laughing hysterically and that's as good as it gets for me. So all's well.


Hmm...Political Science. I better concentrate. Which teacher takes class on the first day? But she(Mrs.Rekha) seems nice enough.


11:20, Girls restroom.


I have Photography next. What happened to the good old days when journalism was confined to pen and paper? What's the need for this "Photographic Journalism" or whatever the hell they call it? Suffice to say I've never even held a camera in my entire life.


Sigh.


Oh god, the bell just rang. I am going to be late.

Shit.

12:40 PM, Lunch.


I just want the ground to eat me. Really that's all I want Devi Maiya. Please ground swallow me like you did Sita Devi. I beg you please.


2:30 PM, Last class, Creative Writing.


Things could be worse. He could be in all your classes. I am not going to let one class and one stupid Laad Governor to ruin my entire day. I just won't.


I will concentrate on creative writing, my favourite class. Even the teacher seems nice (Mr. Khan) and not at all evil looking,( unlike some other teacher I could, but will not, mention.)


Calm down everything's going to be alright now.


Oh no... Now that tune is stuck in my head.


4:00 PM, at home


Ah bliss. Give me my bed, a plate of jelebies and Jane Austin and I am in heaven.

God these jelebies are great, I must remember to ask Payal where she got them. She has a knack of getting the right things from the right places, my sister.

4:10 PM, still cuddling in bed.


Okay, I won't think about it.

I won't I won't I won't.

Argh!!


Stupid class, stupid teacher, stupid Laad Governor.


So anyway I was running to hell (aka Photography) only to be late by 5 mins.


"So glad you could join us,Miss'." The evil looking teacher trailed off.


"Sorry...I mean Khushi Kumari Gupta'" I blushed beet red and took the closest seat next to me in the first row.


"As I was saying, before Miss Sorry Khushi Kumari Gupta, interrupted us... ''Like I said he was out to get me.


Then I noticed him. Coolly standing against the board with his hands in pockets and smirk in place was none other than that Laad Governor. Still with those gigantic shades.


"Mr Raizada here.." The devil ( Aka Mr Sinnah) droned on. You really can't expect me to pay attention in class I didn't even want to take. But then fate wouldn't let that go, what with my luck.


"Right, Miss Gupta?" He suddenly asked me.


"Ri...Right." I hesitantly replied. I had no idea what he was talking about.


"Right? You think Photography is a waste of your time?" He replied with his eyebrows raised. The entire class burst out laughing. He shushed them and said with an edge in his voice.


"Perhaps you should pay attention, Miss Gupta. If you don't it may reflect on you grades"


Then the bell rang. Thank God.


"So that's all for today. Your first assignment is simple and Mr Raizada will brief you the basics if you approach him. Good day."


Shit shit shit. What assignment? Who gives assignments on the first day anyway?

I sat there pitying my predicament and by the time I was done with the self loathing the class had cleared out for lunch. I was awfully hungry so I quickly grabbed my bag and rushed for the door. And then'.

CRASH


I was expecting the cold hard floor; instead I was grabbed by a pair of warm strong arms and laid sight on the most beautiful pair of eyes in the world.


Shit I meant ugly..ugly eyes. Ugly like mud.

Because attached to those hands was the body of the person who I was quite frankly getting tired of.


Laad Governor. Mr Raizada. God even his name reeked arrogance.


I tried to wriggle out off his grip but it tightened, he was looking straight into my eyes.


"How many times do I have to tell you to watch where you're going?"


I pushed him off with all my might and placed my hands on my hips.


"About as many times as I have to say the same thing to you."


With that said I quickly vacated the place because he looked murderous and ready to pounce.


Why does my life have to be so complicated?


I bet I was Jack The Ripper in my previous birth, what with all the bad luck I endure.


Sigh.


Amma just called me to make dinner. Maybe I can make some jelebies to brighten my mood.


Here's to a better tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment